Wednesday, July 25, 2012

His Compassions Never Fail

Throughout this pacemaker/ healing journey, I’ve been asking the Lord for patience, perseverance and hope.  I feel like yesterday I got a special blessing, an “I’ve got things under control reminder.”  I love those moments in our walk with JesusJ.     

As you all know, this journey has been a difficult one physically, spiritual and emotionally for me.  Yesterday I was so very blessed by the Lord as I sat down to read His Word on two separate occasions.  Both times I laid my Bible on my lap and opened it up to the same page, Lamentations Ch.3.  I meditated on and had memorized a part of this chapter in the past so I had some verses underlined in my Bible.  I re-read those verses and was reminded God’s love and greatness in my present circumstance.   Here’s what I read: Lam. 3:22-26
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.

They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.”

The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,
to the one who seeks him;

it is good to wait quietly
for the salvation of the Lord.

 I was greatly struck by v. 24 “I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him.”  The Author of Lamentations traditionally believed to be the prophet Jeremiah, more than likely penned this book after Jerusalem’s fall to Babylon.  This was a dark and hopeless time for God’s people, but the prophet Jeremiah had the faith to proclaim the Lord’s goodness even in the midst of such perilous times.  Today I am making a choice to be like Jeremiah and proclaim the Lord’s love and compassion until my hearts believes it.  God is all about redemption.  He’s all about taking broken messed up people like me and you and making us whole.  One day my body will see no decay.  One day I will have a heart that works without the aid of a pacemaker.  This is the everlasting hope we have in Jesus Christ. 

 Here’s the cool thing though.  When I opened my Bible later in the day and it randomly fell again to this very same passage I saw something that I didn’t take note of before. This time I looked up to v. 19-21. 

      I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.

I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.

Yet this I call to mind
              and therefore I have hope:

 Isn’t it marvelous that the Bible is full of real people who experienced real emotions!  I love it!  Yes, at times, when I recall all I’ve been through lately my soul becomes saddened, but here’s what hit me square in the head as I read this:  “Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope.”  What do I call to mind? Why do I have hope? Read v. 22-24 again.  The Lord’s love, compassions, and faithfulness.  So, when I or you put on our sad pants, it’s so utterly vital that we recall the Lord’s goodness and scriptures just like these.  Friends, I can tell you that I have quoted various scriptures and have not believed them in my heart but I think that by the gracious working of the Holy Spirit verses like these are starting to grow roots of faith and hope!  My heart is changing, in more ways than one, to the glory of God!   

Keep reading the Word.  Keep memorizing it.  Keep quoting the scriptures that speak to your own bitterness and pain.  Ask God to make them alive in you.  Don’t give up.  You have a mighty warrior fighting for you, the Lord Jesus Christ.  He will equip You with the strength to keep moving forward.  Fear not Beloved.  Fear not. 

Father of compassion and grace we thank You and praise You for who You are.  We believe You are at work, even in our darkness and pain.  Grant us the faith to persevere and the hope to keep moving forward with Your Son Jesus.  We remember our pain, but find hope in Your Word and faithfulness throughout our lives.  It no longer reigns over us, for we are consumed by Your great love.  Lord change us by Your Word and Spirit.  We love you.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment