Monday, March 26, 2012

Food: It's a Love Hate Relationship


So the other day I was talking with a good friend about some of the things I have been learning during the Daniel Fast.  One of the things I am learning is about how I use food.    Michael and I tend to eat pretty healthy but as I reflect upon my own habits I began to realize how often I do look to food, whether it be a slice of pizza or a piece of chocolate to give me some sense of joy or happiness. 


I had kind of a stressful day today and I found myself really wanting a piece of chocolate.  Not because I was hungry, but because I wanted something to make me feel better.  I shared this with Michael and I remember praying and thinking to myself, I don’t need it; that’s a lie.  Yes, it is a lie; food will let us down every time. 


I do not think I am alone on this.  How often do we find ourselves having a bad day, and to give ourselves a short spike of satisfaction or to relax we eat something?  Think about it for a moment.  Food has been one of those things in my life that has been what I’d call a love hate relationship.  I love it and I hate it all at the same time.  Food is a good thing, ice cream is delicious but when we start going to it to be filled emotionally, it then becomes a vice, a sin, a tool of deception.  Once again, I don’t think I’m alone on this either, especially as women, food seems to be a bit of a vice for us, does it not? 


But on my Daniel Fast I not been able to have ice cream or make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (which I love you mind you!).  I never realized just how often I did go to little snacks to offer me something.  In depriving myself of these things I have learned a couple of things.  One is that I surprisingly don’t really miss them.  Which leads to the second thing I’ve learned; I now see how food has become this thing I used to give me something.  You know what though; it has let me down a lot and it always will.  It will never completely satisfy me and even if it does it won’t last.   


The words of Jesus tell us in Matt. 6:35


“Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.”


This is a promise my friends, a promise that will not fail nor will it disappoint.  So the next time you  have a bad day at work, an argument with your spouse, or a rough day with your kids, take a step back before you reach for food.  Ask God for grace and for His Love to nourish whatever emotion you may be feeling.  Food doesn’t have to rule over us anymore.  We can choose life and wholeness in Christ.  

No comments:

Post a Comment