Monday, May 6, 2013

Confessions of a Control Freak

I love the book of Hebrews.  Why?  Because it’s emphasis on both the divinity AND humanity of Christ.  It reminds us that Jesus experienced temptation and suffering.  I don’t know about you all, but I experience temptation and suffering.  The more I walk out this life of faith with Christ in the reality of my brokenness and sin, the more I see my heart is a mess and needs the healing work only God can give.  My heart, on its own, is bent towards sin. Plain and simple.   

I find great comfort in the words found in the book of Hebrews.  Words penned so many years ago, yet they still have the authority and power to breathe a fresh word to my heart and soul.  Glory to God!

“Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.” Heb. 2:18

“Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered.” Heb. 5:8

If you didn’t know yet, one of the sins I wrestle with is control.  This has played itself out in many aspects of my life.  (i.e. see below)

A few nights ago, I was lying in bed wrestling in my mind with something asking the Lord, what’s the deal here, what’s the wrestling about.  A little something like this came to my spirit:  Beloved, I know, even though you can’t see it, I know better than you.  Trust me; let me guide your decisions.  SHAZAM.  There it is. God knows better than we do. "The mind of a man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." Prov. 16:9 Often times we think we know what’s best, but God knows down the road…we don’t. We only think we do, constructed off of our experiences, or knowledge.  We want proof, when God says, TRUST ME! 

The more we walk around, not acknowledging our sin and desiring to live our way, the more chained we live.  I also often wonder how much grieve God when we neglect Him.  There’s so much more for us in Christ but that life of abundance comes through humble submissive obedience not open rebellion against God and His Word.  It’s like we are saying to God, “Yeah, I know you sent your Son to die for my sins, and that’s great, I’ll take that but I want control of the rest.  I’ll just follow how I feel and do what I want.  Thanks.”  Whoa. 

In a world that tells us to follow our hearts and our desires, it’s time to step up and be different.  It’s time to flee from temptation, repent and follow Jesus-- not ourselves.  To be a follower of Christ means we die to ourselves.  We stop following our plan and start following God's. Plain and simple.

Why? For the sake of His great Name, His holiness, His glory, His Word and because if we don’t we open ourselves up to Satan’s deception and miss out on the glorious freedom found in walking with Jesus. 
 
What an awesome, loving, gracious God we serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment